The State Key Laboratory for Geomechanics and Deep Underground Engineering (hereafter referred to as Laboratory) was established depending on two national key disciplines, i.e., geotechnical engineering and engineering mechanics in both China University of Mining and Technology (CUMT) and CUMT (Beijing), several provincial key disciplines namely disaster prevention & reduction engineering, protection engineering and geological survey & information technology. In 2008, the Laboratory was authorized to start construction. Now, in order to promote China’s basic research and technological innovation of geomechanics and deep underground engineering and give full play to the Laboratory’s function in international cooperation and high-level talents cultivation, the Laboratory has set up the open-end research fund to attract both domestic and foreign talents to work or conduct high-level basic researches, and make innovative achievement by fully utilizing the resources of the Laboratory.
I. Major Research Directions of the Laboratory and the Research Fields Supported by the Fund
1. Mechanical Behavior of Deep Rock Mass & Wall Rock Control Theory
2. Mechanical Behavior of Deep Soil & Interaction between the Soil and Underground Engineering Structure
3. Fundamental and Applied Researches on Artificial Freezing Theory of Thick Top Soils
4. Rock Dynamic Mechanics and the Mechanical Stability of Rock Mass Engineering
5. Theories and Technologies on Geological Environment of Deep Engineering and Fine Detection of Rock and Soil Structures
6. Deep Underground Resources Engineering
7. Deep Underground Space Development and Utilization Engineering
8. Applications Research on New Techniques and New Materials in Geotechnical Engineering
II. Application for the Open-end Research Fund
1. The Laboratory invites both domestic and overseas scholars of the related field to apply for projects focusing on the major research directions of the Laboratory. The Laboratory will select the open-end fund projects in accordance with the principle of “fairness, impartiality, merit” and procedures of free application, preliminary examination by the Laboratory, and approval by the Academic Committee.
2. The Laboratory plans to set up about 20 open-end fund projects in 2018. The average fund for each project amounts to RMB 80,000 yuan at most. Generally, the research period will extend for two years. The project duration is from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2020.
3. The Laboratory gives priority to the joint application of domestic and foreign scholars with researchers in the Laboratory and the continuation of funding projects for in-depth joint research with excellent completion. If there is no existing cooperation with researchers in the Laboratory at the moment of application, the applicant should declare that the research project should be jointly carried out once approved and granted.
4. The Laboratory welcomes scholars both at home and abroad to bring their own projects and conduct visiting researches using equipment in the Laboratory. Necessary research facilities and technical services will be provided by the Laboratory.
5. At first, the applicant should read the Notice of Application and the Management Method for Open-end Research Fund. The email deadline is November 21, 2018. Once the application form has been approved, signed and stamped by the work unit of the applicant, the applicant should send it to the Laboratory in two copies (both original copy, printed on both sides in an A4 paper and stapled to the left) before December 1, 2018.
6. Both Xuzhou and Beijing have the Laboratory. Please send your application form to only ONE place.
7. If you have any questions, please contact the Laboratory, or refer to the homepage of the Laboratory: http://gdue.cumt.edu.cn; http://www.sklgdu.com.
8. Contact us:
（1）China University of Mining and Technology
Contacts: Gai Yanfei
Address: The State Key Laboratory for Geomechanics and Deep Underground Engineering, Nanhu Campus of China University of Mining and Technology, Xuzhou, Jiangsu
（2）China University of Mining and Technology (Beijing)
Contacts: Liu Dongqiao, Hao Nai
Address: The State Key Laboratory for Geomechanics and Deep Underground Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology (Beijing), Ding No. 11, Xueyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing